Acqua World Aquarium (Aquário Acqua Mundo)
Located in Playa Ensenada, nowadays Acqua Mundo is the largest saltwater aquarium in South America. Besides the exhibition of aquatic fauna and flora, the venture also offers thematic workshops, conference cycles, educational activities and overnight camping. More than 230 species and over 8,000 animals on display, divided in thematic and contact tanks and outdoor spaces. To guide the visits, there are monitors and qualified professionals. The entire tour of the site is adapted for wheelchair users. Its structure consists of an auditorium with a capacity for 90 people, where scientific films are shown.
Historical Surf Space (Espaço Histórico do Surf)
With visiting hours on Wednesday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., the historic surf space has one of the largest collections of the Sao Paulo State with emphasis on national and international sporting. Admission is free. Surf lessons are also offered.
Procópio Ferreira Theatre (Teatro Procópio Ferreira)
Opened at the end of the 70s, the Teatro Municipal is located in one of the most popular neighborhoods of the city of Guaruja. There are artists groups like o Maitá Capoeira, ImproRiso and also groups of tango and ballet dancers. There is a program for the whole family.
Guarujá harbors one of the country’s oldest sambaquis (shells clusters). According to archaeologists of the USP - University of São Paulo – these structures were built over 8000 years ago by pre-historic civilizations in order to be a sacred place and for funeral rituals. It was baptized by the scientists as Sambaqui Monte Cabrão it has also already been registered with the Institute of National Historical and Artistic Heritage (IPHAN) as an archaeological part of the city.
Guaibê Chapel (Ermida do Guaibê)
This sixteenth-century Chapel in the region near the Armação das Baleias, was built by Jose Adorno of stone and with whale oil, is now in ruins. It is considered the chapel of St. Anthony of five hundred years. Father Anchieta frequented it, gave masses and catechized the Indians.
Frame Of The Whales (Armação das Baleias)
Located near the Bertioga channel, la Armação das Baleias was an important colonial economic framework of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The activity of this place was the extraction of whale oil, destined for public lighting and the use of its derivatives. It was the first extractive industry that functioned on the Santo Amaro Island. During this period the whale products industry was allowed in Brazil by the Portuguese. There was a branch of Armação das Baleias in Góes Beach that was deactivated.
Arvoredos Island (Ilha dos Arvoredos)
Groves Island, Ilha dos Arvoredos, located 1.6 km from the coast, off the beach of Pernambuco, is 37,000 km2 and was awarded by the Heritage Service of the Union, in 1950, to engineer Fernando Eduardo Lee who transformed it in a 100% self-sustaining scientific and environmental research place, with rainwater collecting systems, systems for wind and solar energy collection, among others. Since 1994, after the death of the engineer, it came to be administered by the University of Ribeirão Preto and offers guided tours with an educational and scientific purpose.
Moela Island (Ilha da Moela)
Gizzard Island, also called "Lighthouse Island" and "Island of the Lighthouse of the Gizzard" which can be seen from Tombo Beach and the Lookout of th Water Box Hill, which has this name because of its rocky constitution that makes it look like a chicken gizzard. It is here that the lantern is the gizzard and indicates the entrance to the city of Santos.
The Steam Train Pavilion (Pavilhão da Maria Fumaça)
In order to facilitate access to the seaside resort of Guaruja, in 1892 construction began of the Guarujá Tramway, which opened on September 2, 1983. Tourists who went to Guarujá took a small steam locomotive at the Port of Santos, called San Pablo City, which crossed the estuary to the Itapema neighborhood. In that place there was a station where they embarked on the steam train and continued toward the Gran Hotel La Plage on Pitangueiras beach. At the end of the 1910s, it was interrupted and a runway built, and on January 19, 1918 a rafts service was implemented. On July 13, 1956, after 40 years, the tram was disabled and, today, the Steam Train is exposed at the intersection of Leomil Av with Puglisi Av, in the center of Guaruja.
Pavilion of the Santos Dumont Hearse (Pavilhão do Carro Fúnebre de Santos Dumont)
Also at the intersection of Leomil Av. and Puglisi Av., in the center of Guaruja, the hearse is exposed that carried the body of Alberto Santos Dumont, the father of aviation, who died in 1932 in the Gran Hotel La Plage. The Chevrolet Ramona car manufactured in 1929 and built almost entirely of wood, keeps the original features, including the six-cylinder engine, which is very rare.
The Andradas Fortress (Forte dos Andradas)
Installed on Monduba Hill, the Andradas Fortress is a war complex, from the coast towards the sea, on Monduba beach and Bueno beach, in large area of the Atlantic Bush. Designed in 1934 by Lieutenant-Colonel of Engineering João Luiz Monteiro de Barros, it was the last to be built in Brazil, and was concluded in 1942, during the Second World War. It occupies an area of 2.1 million m2, after digging tunnels with dozens of galleries in rocks from the hill to hide facilities for firing cannons. It receives the name Andradas Fortress as a tribute to the defenders of the Independence, the Andrada brothers, Jose Bonifácio de Andrada e Silva, Martim Francisco Ribeiro de Andrada and Antônio Carlos Ribeiro de Andrada Machado e Silva. The entrance to the premises is permitted only with prior authorization and in organized tours.
San Luiz / San Felipe Fortress (Forte São Luiz/ São Felipe)
Located at the northern end of Guaruja, the Fortaleza San Luis / San Felipe was built in the sixteenth century by order of Braz Cubas, a Portuguese nobleman who came to Brazil with Martim Afonso de Souza, considered the founder of the city of Santos, with the aim of defending the territory against attacks coming from the sea. Its first soldier was the German Hans Staden, who lived most of his life in the place and for 9 months was taken prisoner by the tupinambás Indians and almost devoured. In 1965, it was declared heritage by IPHAM. Access is through Trilla of Playa Blanca, near the Guarujá -Bertioga pond.
Itapema Fortress (Forte do Itapema)
The Itapema Fortress is one of the oldest buildings in Brazil, located next to the boat station in the district of Vicente de Carvalho. It was elevated on the rocks, with large unique stone blocks, with a mixture of whale oil and sambaqui lime, to defend the port of the town of Santos. There are few records of the exact date of its foundation, however, it is estimated that it already existed at mid-sixteenth century. In the past century, the General War Intendancy handed it over to the care of the Customs of Santos, as a control station with a tower with reflectors to better illuminate the estuary and combat smuggling.
Santo Amaro de Barra Grande Fortress (Fortaleza Santo Amaro de Barra Grande)
Located between the beaches of Góes and Santa Cruz de los Navegantes beach, on the banks of the estuary of Santos, the Fortress of Santo Amaro de Barra Grande is a military-historical monument built in the sixteenth century, during the Spanish rule, with the aim of defending the town of Santos against pirate attacks. During the XVII century the fort served as a political prison for the opponents of the Portuguese Crown, restored for the first time in 1885. Access to the fort goes by the Path of the Santo Amaro de Barra Grande Fortress in the township of Santa Cruz of the Navigators, or by ships that came from the Prácticos Bridge in Santos.
Water Box Hill Lookout (Mirante do Morro da Caixa D´Água)
This lookout makes the tourist feel on top of the world. From there, one can see the sea that bathes Guarujá, with special attention to Tombo Beach and Asturias Beach to the left. The location is also home to paragliding practitioners.
Maluf’s Hill Lookout (Mirante do Morro do Maluf)
This lookout is located at the end of the Pitangueiras beach and assures travelers a dazzling view of Guarujá, with special attention to the beach of Ensenada, the most extented destination, with 5,600 meters, on the left side. This Lookout and the Water Box Hill Lookout are a meeting center for paragliding practitioners.
The Turtle Costão Lookout (Mirante do Costão das Tartarugas)
At the end of the Playa de la Ensenada, after the residential part of the peninsula, the Turtle Costão is a rock formation where you can regularly see these friendly animals that choose this place to feed themselves.